Welcome to the Families Program of the Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019!
About | Services | Registration | Sports & Competition | Non Sports Events | Publications | Contact us
Families at the Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019 are the number one source of love, support and encouragement to the athletes and they will give the event great value and significance. The Families Program provides family members of competing Special Olympics athletes with a welcoming, efficient, and informed experience at the World Games.
The goal of the Families Program is to:
- Highlight, celebrate and provide a safe and hospitable experience and environment for visiting family members of Special Olympics World Games athletes during all aspects of the Games.
- Offer opportunities for all family members to interact with each other, providing a cultural exchange that will enrich the lives of all involved and promote the interaction of visiting families with local residents.
- Increase public awareness and knowledge about Intellectual disabilities through a world-class sporting event while celebrating athlete accomplishments and the Special Olympics movement.
- Provide accurate, timely and complete Games information in a format that both Special Olympics Local Organization Committee (SO LOC) and international families can easily identify and understand.
- Promote family engagement and leadership in Special Olympics.
Know your relationship
A Family Member is any individual who is related to an athlete participating in the World Games who is:
- The husband, wife, partner or child of the athlete;
- A blood relative of the athlete (e.g. mother, father, sibling, grandparent, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, cousin, and a relative related by marriage or a partner of a blood relative; adoptive family);
- The athlete’s legal guardian, foster partner or caregiver;
- An individual involved with the athlete in a parenting role; (Adoptive parent falls in this category)
The categories of participants that will be welcomed into the Families Program include family members of:
- Competing Special Olympics athletes
- Athlete Officials
- Athlete members of the Law Enforcement Torch Run Final Leg Team
- International Global Messengers
If you fit in one of these categories, you are ready to register!
Click here to Register.