The Special Olympics movement in the UAE is all set to get underway this week with the IX MENA Games kicking off in the capital on Wednesday March 14.
The event has had support from many high profile figures including HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan and HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum who both took part in Walk Unified, the weekly inclusive walk at Umm Al Emarat Park.
While registration for volunteers for the IX MENA Games has now officially closed, you should definitely still go and check out the event. It’s going to be spectacular.
Afterwards, sign up to be part of the Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019, taking place in the capital next March. Here are 10 exciting ways to get involved…
1. Become a coach: The Special Olympics are all about the sports. If you have previous coaching experience, or are keen to get certified, get in touch. We can help you become a Special Olympics sport-specific official. Find out more here .
2. Join our incredible events: There will be loads of Special Olympics events happing across Abu Dhabi and the other emirates, keep an eye out for announcements on our website, social media and local news, then just show up and join in.
3. Turn up: Sometimes just being in the stands is enough. Show your support for all the athletes by turning up at the games.
5. Make a difference: Join the huge intake of volunteers. People of all nationalities are getting involved so join in, socialize, improve your skillset and make some amazing friends along the way. Sign up here.
6. Donate: Join in the spirit of giving by donating as much as you want. We accept donations from ANYONE, ANYWHERE. Visit here to find out more.
7. Just talk: Many of our athletes are skilled and persuasive speakers. Talk to them, ask them about their journey and share their stories on your social media.
8. Join the media team: Are you a talented wordsmith or pretty fly with a camera? Join the UAE Special Olympics media team and put your photography or videography skills to good use, and learn from the professionals along the way. Find out more at firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Be a young leader: Sign up to the youth leader academy; and get hands on experience while learning more about working on a global sports event with people of determination. For more info, get in touch at email@example.com
10. Help our athletes stay healthy: A huge team of health practitioners, doctors, nurses and paramedics are needed in the run up to the games. Share any first aid or medical training you have by registering here .