The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of the 2019 Abu Dhabi World Summer Games is overseen by a Higher Committee Chaired by His Excellency Mohamad Abdulla Al Junaibi, Executive Director of Protocol at the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Court.
His Excellency Al Junaibi leads all Protocol engagements on behalf of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi.
The Higher Committee for the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games was established by a law issued by His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE and Ruler of Abu Dhabi.
The Higher Committee is comprised of 15 members (including the Chairman and Vice Chairman) who represent the key entities required to ensure the success of the 2019 World Summer Games.
- HE Mohamad Abdulla Al Junaibi*, Executive Director of Protocol for Crown Prince Court of Abu Dhabi
- HE Sana Suhail, Under Secretary, Ministry of Community Development
- HE Dr. Fadah Matar Al Neyadi, Director General, The General Secretariat of the Executive Council, Abu Dhabi
- HE Dr. Maha Barakat, Director General, Health Authority of Abu Dhabi
- HE Aref Al Awani, Secretary General, Abu Dhabi Sports Council
- HE Dr. Ali Bin Tamim, Director General, Abu Dhabi Media
- HE Reem Al Shemari, Executive Director of Communications Unit, Executive Affairs Authority
- Rabih Abouchakra, Managing Director of Office of Strategic Affairs, Crown Prince Court
- Mohamed Fadel Al Hameli, Chairperson, Sports for Disabled
- Maryam Eid Al Mheiri, CEO, Two Four 54
- Majed Al Usaimi**, National Director, Special Olympics UAE
- Br. General Rashed Suhail Al Ali, Abu Dhabi Police
- Dr. Klaithem Saeed Al Nuaimi, Ministry of Youth
- Mohamed Rashed Al Suwaidi, Director of Agenda and Research, Crown Prince Court
- Simon Pearce, Special Advisor to Chairman, Executive Affairs Authority, Board Member of Manchester City Football Club
As an extension of the Higher Committee several standing committees have been created to drive critical functional areas for the Games forward. The committee and members are listed below:
Athlete Engagement Committee – Chaired by Butti Al Sheezawi
Members include: Zahra Lari ,Talal Al Hashemi, Majed Al Usaimi, Mohamed Al Hameli,Tala Al Ramahi and Peter Wheeler
Community and Legacy Committee – Chaired by HE Najla Bint Mohammad Al Awar with Deputy Chair, HE Shamma Bint Suhail Faris Al Mazrui
Members include: HE Sana Suhail, HE Dr. Fahad Matar Al Neyadi, Reem Al Fahim, HH Noor Al Qassimi, Rafic Makki, Dr,Klaithem Saeed Al Nuaimi, Peter Wheeler, and Tala Al Ramahi
Media and Marketing Committee – Chaired by HE Noura Al Kaabi
Members include: Maryam Al Mheiri, Christine Gotz, Abdelrahman Al Bateeh, Mansour Al Mansouri, Tala Al Ramahi and Peter Wheeler
Ceremonies Committee – Chaired by HE Reem Al Shamari
Members include: Butti Al Meheiri, Peter Wheeler, Tala Al Ramahi,
Games Operation Committee – Chaired by HE Dr. Fahad Matar Al Neyadi
Members include: Aref Al Awani, Brigadier General Rashed Al Ali, Brigadier General Salem Al Ameri, Mohammed Ali Al Mansour, John Tate, Saif salem Bamadhaf, Salem Al Marzooqi and Peter Wheeler
Executive Committee – Chaired by Peter Wheeler
Members include: Rabih Abouchakra, Michel El Khoury, HE Saif Ghobash, Majed Al Usaimi, Mohamed Al Suwaidi, and Tala Al Ramahi
Health and Safety Committee – Chaired by HE Dr. Maha Barakat
Members include: Dr. Dirk Richter, Brigadier General Al Ali, Mohamed Al Hameli, Al Bahri, Sola Robat, Peter Wheeler
Sponsorship Committee – Chaired by HE Mohamed Abdulla Al Junaibi
Members include: Simon Pearce, Peter Wheeler
Audit and Risk Committee – Chaired by Mohamed Al Suwaidi
In January 2017, the Higher Committee appointed Peter Wheeler, CEO of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC). Mr. Wheeler brings over 40 years of Special Olympics and major event experience to the LOC and will be responsible for overseeing the different teams working on the day-to-day organization and running of the World Games. In order to guarantee continuity, knowledge, expertise and quality, the Local Organizing Committee as a whole will be staffed with individuals having previously been involved in the 2019 bid committee and several international multi-sport events hosted in the UAE.
The aim of the Organizing Committee is to ensure that the athlete’s perspective is integrated into the entire World Games, from the very beginning of the organizing effort and for years to come, with the goal of securing the event’s legacy and influencing the region for decades. For this reason, an athlete advisory committee is being established within the LOC to provide feedback, direction and support to the Higher Committee should Abu Dhabi be awarded the Games – thus guaranteeing athlete involvement in all aspects of planning.